0333 577 0151

The difference between a Plumber and Heating Engineer Explained.

After reading through a few Plumbing and Heating forums last week, we have noticed a trend in the questions been asked. Who should I use for my problem a Plumber or a Heating Engineer? As employ both trained and well experienced Plumbers and Heating Engineers we can point you in the right direction to solve your problem.

So, what’s the difference?

First let us give you a bit of history on where the name for this trade came from. Plumbers in the Roman times used to work with lead piping and this is where the word plumber resides. The meaning of the word plumber originates from the Latin word ‘Plumbum’, meaning lead. Modern plumbing pipes are no longer made from lead, plumbers spend a lot of time removing these lead pipes from homes as they where found to be unsuitable as the lead particles got into the water supply. The modern plumber is a craftsmen trained to work on dry and wet pipes, as well as able to work on your heating systems. Making plumbers the Swiss army knife of tradesmen.

Heating Engineer’s solely work on the heating of a building, they maintain and install the pipe work, fixtures and fittings which are used to heat a structure. They work in residential, commercial or industrial properties to implement solutions for heating needs. Heating Engineers solely work on heating and don’t venture into any other aspect of work. If you have a problem with your Heating System or you want to book a boiler service or boiler repair, you should call a Heating Engineer as they are the specialist’s in this line of work.

We feel the confusion has come from Plumbers, as their trade can cover a multitude of tasks when it comes to Bathrooms, Kitchens wet pipes, dry pipes, boiler maintenance or servicing and heating systems. A lot of Plumbers are well trained on heating systems and install them on a regular basis. The majority of these plumbers that know a boiler system like the back of their hand are Gas Safe Registered, to find out if they are or their business is a a gas safe business visit the Gas Safe Register. This is something to look out for when calling a plumber or heating engineer to solve your problem.

We can assure you if you have a problem you only need to contact, we will send the right tradesmen for your job be it a Plumber or a Heating Engineer. We trust our specialist team so you can trust them too.

Request Your Free
Quotation Today

Complete the form below and one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.

We are a Yorkshire-based company covering areas around Wakefield, Leeds, Sheffield and beyond. If you are unsure if we may be able to cover your area, please take a look at our locations page. Plumbcare will only ever use your details to reply to your enquiry and we’ll never send you any spam. Ever.

Gas Safe Register
OFTEC Registered Business
CHAS Accredited Contractor
Safe Contractor Approved
Watersafe Quality Assured
Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer