CALL US 24HRS

0800 111 4 555

10 Signs that Your Boiler Needs Replacing

A well-maintained boiler can last up to 15 years and whilst an annual boiler service can help to ensure the best lifespan possible for your central heating system, the older your boiler, the harder it will be working to heat your home.

A boiler in need of replacement is unlikely to be energy efficient or cost effective, but more importantly, it could be a danger to you and your family.

So when is the right time to replace your boiler? Could you put it off for another year? Here are 10 tell-tale signs that you should consider a new boiler installation sooner rather than later: 

 
#1 - Your boiler is more than 15 years old

The average boiler lasts around 15 years. Although routine maintenance can prolong the life of your boiler beyond 15 years, advances in technology (particularly over the last 5 years) mean that a lot of the upgrades now available to help you control your heating won’t be available for your boiler model.

 
#2 - The energy efficiency rating of your boiler is below 'A' 

Modern boilers come with an efficiency rating, on a scale of A – G, that indicates to consumers how energy efficient each model is. But what do the ratings really mean?

An A-rated boiler falls into the most energy efficient group, at more than 90% efficiency. A G-rating indicates less than 70% efficiency and switching from a G- rated to an A-rated boiler could save hundreds of pounds on your energy bills each year.

 
#3 - It takes a while for your boiler to heat up

This is one of the most obvious signs that your boiler needs replacing or at the very least, that a boiler repair may be required. Modern boilers produce heat almost instantly, so if you find you’re having to wait longer for your house to feel warm, or for your hot water to come through, it might be time to think about a new model.

 
#4 -  The flame in your boiler burns yellow, rather than blue

If your boiler burns with a yellow flame, it could be a sign of carbon monoxide. Sometimes referred to as the ‘silent killer’, carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas, which makes it difficult to detect as you can’t see or smell it.

Carbon monoxide can cause harmful effects on health and, at low levels, can replicate flu symptoms such as headaches, dizziness and nausea. However, with greater exposure can cause breathing difficulties and in serious cases, fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

Although there may be a number of subtle signs that your boiler is emitting carbon monoxide, the best way to ensure detection is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

These are now widely available as people have become more aware of the dangers, and a reputable heating engineer will be able to fit one of these in your home and test it as part of your annual boiler service. 

 
#5 - Your boiler needs more frequent repairs

If you find yourself frequently resetting or topping up the pressure in your boiler, then it may be time to replace it.

Although a new boiler can seem a significant investment, the mounting cost of boiler repairs (only to be left with the same old boiler) can be a source of frustration.

If you find yourself calling out an engineer to fix an array of problems that go above and beyond general maintenance, the time may have come to consider a new boiler.

 
#6 - The cost of maintaining your boiler is on the up

If your heating engineer tells you that it’s becoming more difficult to source the necessary parts to service or repair your boiler, then this can have a knock-on effect on your premiums. This can result in higher maintenance costs - in addition to the increased costs you’re likely to face if your boiler isn’t as efficient as it could be.

A simple gas analysis test can confirm the efficiency level of your boiler and if your boiler’s net efficiency is less than 75%, the chances are you’re losing more that 25% of the energy that you’re paying for.

 
#7 - Your house doesn't feel as warm as it should

If your house feels cold even with the heating switched on, then your boiler could be at fault.

It’s important that an accredited plumber or gas engineers investigates the reason why your home isn’t heating up as it should, but assuming that your radiators are in good working order, a cold house can be a sign that your boiler is no longer up to the job of properly heating your home.

 
#8 - Your fuel bills are on the up

If your energy supplier is increasing your direct debits fairly regularly, this could be a clue that you should switch to another energy provider. But equally, it could mean that your boiler is wasting your money – money that could be spent on the things you enjoy.

Switching to an energy efficient boiler could save you up to 30% on your energy bills, so if your fuel bills are on the increase, it may be time to upgrade your boiler.

 
#9 - Your boiler makes strange noises

If your boiler is making an unusual noise, it won’t take you long to spot it. Your boiler heating up is one of those sounds that fades into the background... until something’s not working properly.

A number of faults could be the cause of any clunking or whirring sounds that aren’t typical of your boiler, often due to wear and tear of the pump or fan.

Whatever the cause, it’s important to get your boiler checked at the earliest opportunity by a professional engineer to ensure it’s safe. If you find yourself making this phone call more regularly, it could be more cost effective over time to invest in a new model.

 
#10 - Your boiler emits a smell

Another indication that your boiler might be emitting carbon monoxide is a faint smell.

The carbon monoxide itself is odourless, but if it’s being emitted because your boiler isn’t burning properly, you may find that your boiler gives off a faint smell.

Easier to spot are dark marks around the casing of your boiler. If you can see these dark marks on your boiler, you’ll need to take immediate action.

 
Does your boiler need replacing?

If your boiler is only in need of its annual service this year, or perhaps a minor repair, our team of fully accredited engineers work across the Yorkshire area and beyond and are on call 365 days a year.

If you’ve noticed that your boiler is affected by some of the above and you feel it’s time to consider a new boiler for your home, speak to our friendly team to find out more

Request Your Free
Quotation Today

Complete the form below and one of the Plumbcare.com team will get back to you as soon as possible.

We are a Yorkshire-based company covering areas around Wakefield, Leeds, Sheffield and beyond. If you are unsure if we may be able to cover your area, please take a look at our locations page.

Plumbcare.com will only ever use your details to reply to your enquiry and to send you our email newsletter, which is full of great hints and tips. We’ll never send you any spam. Ever.

Which? Trusted Trader
Gas Safe Register
NICEIC Approved Contractor
OFTEC Registered Business
CHAS Accredited Contractor
Safe Contractor Approved
Watersafe Quality Assured
Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer
Thank you for rapid completion

- Middleton, Tingley